On Friday around noon I was chatting with Sarah on the phone and we both sympathized with each other's complaints of heat and boredom. The majority of Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday stretched before us with little to do besides read, study for the GREs, watch movies, and repeat over and over. That sounds great, but when that's all you've been doing for the past week and will do for the next few weeks, those activities become more daunting than enjoyable. Within about 2 minutes we somehow decided to quickly pack and meet in Roi Et for the weekend. It was a great weekend of sleeping in air conditioning, eating pizza, drinking a few beers, sitting by the pool, and playing Scrabble. It was exactly what I needed for the weekend.
Through all the ups and downs here, I am content with my life in the village. But sometimes the feelings of isolation and loneliness become almost too much to deal with. Lately I have really missed the ability or option to meet up with friends for happy hour or dinner and then go home. I miss the chance to simply socialize and be around people. It's such a basic need or desire, and yet, Peace Corps volunteers must face extreme isolation. Even with friends and neighbors in the village, it's not the same. I have never felt so lonely as I have here in the rice field and probably never will, to this extent, again. I have to rely on myself for entertainment and encouragement and motivation. By this point, I'm more used to this lifestyle, but sometimes I forget how challenging it really is.
So on Saturday night, you better believe I cherished drinking a beer and playing Scrabble with Sarah at an outside restaurant. It seems so simple, but it was exactly what I needed. Now I'm back in the rice field for another week and I feel refreshed and ready.
No comments:
Post a Comment