Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Heat, ant egg soup, and community meetings... life in the village



Despite what's happening in Bangkok, village life continues to be village life. The new school year started on Monday, so pre-school is filled with crying kids who are away from home all day for the first time. They are so cute as they stand there at the pre-school gate crying there little eyes out. By next week they will be just fine and learning the Hokey Pokey with me. Community meetings continue going on, nothing related to the Red Shirt protests, but about community events over the year. It's still blazing hot and I question if it's medically healthy to be subjected to this kind of heat. And finally, Grandma offered my ant egg soup and baby frogs for lunch today. She thinks it's hilarious that I don't eat frogs so she got quite a kick out of my face when I peered apprehensively into the bowl of baby frogs. She then gave me a playful look and ate a big spoonful of frogs like it was the best thing ever, waiting for my reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment