Monday, April 27, 2009

So I biked over 50km in Thailand heat...

So the last week has gone well at the office. I did full days there, but probably won't be this week. I can't say it was a very productive week, but that's how it goes. Maybe this week will be?

So yesterday I biked 10km to the main town to meet up with Beau (the volunteer close to me). He's about 15km from the main town in the other direction. We hung out there for awhile and then he asked if I wanted to go see his house since he just moved in. I knew this would mean quite a bike ride, but at the time it didn't quite register. So we biked the 15km to his village and it was really fun to see where he lives and his house. We got lunch at a little restaurant place and it was lovely. It was around 1:45pm and I realized I had 25km ahead of me to bike home, so I decided I should head back, despite the intense afternoon heat. I figured I have a bottle of water, it's going to suck, but I can do it. Well, on the 25km bike ride home, the wind was not in my favor. The last 10km were awful. At one point I contemplated getting off my bike and walking. I kept on going though. I just waited for landmarker after landmarker.

As I pulled off the highway and into my village (1 more km to go!) someone from my office saw me from her truck and stopped to talk with me. I looked absolutely absurd. I felt dizzy and numb and I was amazed I was able to utter a few words in Thai. When I actually pulled into my house, the grandma next door exclaimed "Whoooo Eeeee!" when she saw me. I basically collapsed in front of my fan and didn't move for quite awhile. I woke up this morning quite sore. It's wonderful that Beau lives so close, but I don't think that bike ride should be a day trip in the middle of the afternoon.

The funny part is that I didn't tell anyone that I biked to Beau's village. They already think it's ridiculous and dangerous that I bike to the main town because I'm a female. They worry the second I get on my bike so I have had to prove to them that females can bike just as well as males. Eventually maybe I will tell them how far I biked. They will probably hear about it anyway because I'm sure someone saw me and told someone else and now the whole village knows. I give it 1 week and people start talking that I biked to Beau's village. I'll keep you posted. It will be a fun experiment.

Regardless, I biked over 50km (around 32 miles) in one day. It was hot and miserable towards the end, but I have to say it was fun to push myself to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment