Monday, April 13, 2009

I have a house!!!

So I've been at site for a few days now. I was able to figure out my housing so now I have my own house! It's huge and really nice! I have a very nice extra room with a full sized bed so visitors are more than welcome! They bought me a small fridge, rice cooker, water heater, and a microwave. The microwave is really exciting! That opens up a whole new world of food options. Currently I don't have any running water - I'm supposed to, but yesterday it just stopped. I asked the neighbors and I can't quite understand their response, so now the husband puts a hose through the window of my bathroom and I use that to "shower." I don't understand where that water is coming from though. I was sort of curious what I was supposed to do with my trash, but I quickly solved that mystery. I set out some bags of garbage on my porch and about 5 minutes later the grandma next door took it and burned it all in my backyard. I guess that's my garbage truck.

It's incredibly nice having my own house. It was great living with a family, but I really need my space. It's very odd to Thai people that I live alone. They think I'm lonely and always come over to check on me, which is nice, but also a little annoying. My first day at my house 2 ladies came over and told me to put black clothes on and that we were walking to the temple. Turns out we went to a funeral so I ended up joining this funeral procession. Very random indeed, but I have a feeling that will be my life here.

I don't have internet in my house yet, but in theory I will on April 20th. Everything seems to happen in its own time here, so I'm just trying to be patient. I biked about 10km into the "big" town near my village this morning. It has a 711 and an internet cafe so that's all I really need. I'm not sure what I will do for the rest of the day, but I'm sure someone will come over to my house and insist I go do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment