Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Odd encounters and no privacy

Well, it's day 2 at the office and so far I have hijacked one of the computers with internet and haven't moved since. There is just so much to do on the internet! I am completely clueless about current events, so I have been happily getting lost on BBC News and NY Times online.

This morning, I walked in and greeted some of the women in my office. The first thing they asked me is if I wear makeup and what kind of face wash I use. I abandoned make up long ago because of the ridiculous heat and I honestly have no clue what kind of face wash I use because the container is in Thai. They didn't like the response of "I don't know" so they listed a bunch of Thai face wash brands and I finally said yes to the third or fourth one and then they all started nodding and talking quickly. My guess is that they are going to go buy it after work. So many odd, random enounters here.

Although I have internet and it's wonderful, everyone comes over to ask what I'm doing. They like to watch me type because I obviously type in English and they just can't quite get over that. Privacy doesn't exist in this country. A great example of no privacy is that my landlord lady, who also works in my office, bought me dinner at the market a couple nights ago. It was very nice of her, but there was simply no way I was going to eat it. Again, it was food I can't even describe - dried fish parts, spiciy paste, etc. I have plans to throw it out when it gets dark so no one can see me because my garbage is also out on dispaly for people's curiousity, but yesterday she went to my house to drop off some plastic chairs (I can sit down now!) and she looked in my fridge to check it out and immediately questioned me about why I hadn't eaten it yet. There are no secrets in the village. My current tactic is to play the "I don't understand" card, but my time is limited with that. Soon they will catch on that I do in fact understand what they are saying. Until then...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you may need to get a pet to eat your crummy leftovers....My job this weekend is to make you into a cardboard cutout. Should be interesting! I love hearing your updates! (as I'm living vicariously through you and your interesting life...) Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete