Tuesday, April 28, 2009

So apparently my house is haunted...

An interesting thing about Thai culture that you learn after spending some more time here is that Thai people are extremely supersticious. They have a very real sense and fear of ghosts. Some of the kids in my neighborhood and I went for a walk and they pointed out a house that has a ghost. It's not just kids, adults believe very strongly in ghosts as well, as this story will prove...

Over the weekend, I was chilling with Grandma next door and some neighbor kids and they asked me if I have seen a ghost. I said no and asked if they have. One little girl responded "No! I would run away!" I didn't think this was odd. Then yesterday (Monday) when I came into the office, this one lady immediately asked if I was sleeping okay and if I have seen a ghost in my house. I said no and carried on. Another lady came and sat next to me and very hush hush asked if I have seen a Grandma ghost in my house and if I have been woken up. I sort of laughed at how ridiculous this was getting, but insisted, no, I have not seen a ghost in my house. Then a bunch of ladies from work and I went to a restaurant for lunch. Once we were all piled into the pickup truck they of course asked me about seeing a ghost.

So I thought, maybe a nice old lady died in my house and now she's a ghost in my house. That's fine, I suppose I can deal with that.

Then today, it came up again. This lady asked me if I have seen a ghost and I said no, why? She said that people have been hearing noises coming from my house early in the morning. And then I understood. It all made sense. I had to hide my laughter. In the mornings, I have been waking up early and doing some workout DVDs upstairs in my house. This includes jumping around and such. Turns out, the neighbors have heard me jumping around and assumed it was a ghost because who would actually exercise in their home? I guess only a crazy foreigner like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment