Friday, April 10, 2009

I'm "home"

I'm officially a Peace Corps Volunteer. Training is finally over and now I'm at site. I got in last night. I'm "home." I was told that my house I negotiated when I came to visit was ready, but when I arrived last night, they told me it's not ready. They are also changing the stipulations of the rent and utilities and I have no idea what's going on. I'm staying at the equivalent of the mayor's house right now. I really want to get settled though so it's extremely frustrated.

I'm currently sitting in the village government office (SAO office). There is a computer with Internet which is endlessly exciting. They are playing music so I'm listening to the song that goes like "the smile on your face let's me know that you need me, there's a truth in your eyes that says you'll never leave me." Odd.

Part of me loves this, part of me hates this. What am I doing here? I gave up a great life in New York with amazing friendships to move to the middle of rural, drought-stricken Thailand for 2 years in the hopes of doing something great and different and exciting. I don't even speak the language - Thai or Laos to really get me anywhere. The whole thing is ridiculous. I can honestly say I have never felt like this before. Whatever this feeling is.

1 comment: