So there has been a big festival going on the past few days in Thailand. It's kind of like the idea of Thanksgiving or Christmas where everyone travels home to be with their family. Anyway, my neighbor introduced me to this woman named Mel. She grew up in my village, but moved to Bangkok and Australia because she married an Australian man. Anyway, she was back for the holiday and she speaks perfect English. I visited with her quite a bit and she was able to explain to me random things that were going on during the festival. She's very western and thinks what I'm doing is crazy. She's like "I grew up here and I wouldn't want to do what you are doing for 2 years."
Anyway, she left last night for the airport in Roi Et, which is about 45 minutes from me. She told me there was a pizza place and a KFC and a shopping mall there. My face lit up when she said pizza and she laughed. She told me that she would buy me pizza and have her family drop it off at my house after they took her to the airport. So last night, I waited up until about 9:30pm and her neice (my neighbor) dropped off a pizza, spaghetti, and a big thing of chicken from KFC. I actually started jumping up and down and laughing I was so excited. I am planning to savor this food and freeze some of the pizza so in a few weeks, when I'm feeling down, I will have pizza to eat! I don't think Mel realizes how happy that small gesture means to me. My village feels very remote and I feel very far away from things I know and recognize. Sometimes that's fun and exciting, and other times it's very lonely and isolating. A container of spaghetti and a pizza made me so happy. I guess it goes to show, it's the little things that really matter. I will probably never have another pizza delivery to my house in Thailand, but last night I had my own little pizza party and it was great.
Heather! This post made me laugh - that was so nice of Mel and I'm glad to hear you are savoring the pizza!!
ReplyDelete