Oh Purple Chair, you have been so good to me. When my parents came to visit in December 2009, they insisted on buying me a comfy chair as the rest of my seating includes red plastic lawn chairs and the tile floor. So off we went to the big city of Roi Et in search of a comfy chair. Thailand is not known for it's comfy furniture so it was a little bit of a leap, but once I laid eyes on that purple diva of a chair I knew I had to have it. After making a small scene and a few language mishaps on my part, we managed to load it into the rental car. When we unloaded it and brought it into the house, Grandma hooted and hollered about such a ridiculous piece of furniture. Every single person who has come to my house immediately sits and tries the purple chair out, asks where I got it, and how much it cost. It's left quite an impression on my village, but how could it not... it's the purple chair!
It's been somewhat of a joke with my parents about who is going to get the purple chair when I leave. They loved the idea of giving it to Grandma and the image of her sitting in it over at her house, but Grandma is set in her ways, and quite honestly wouldn't like it. She prefers her wooden benches and that's okay. So when Pi Pong asked what I was going to do with it, I gladly decided to gift it to her. Pi Pong has become one of my closest friends at site and I truly appreciate her friendship. So earlier today, Pi Pong and her 2 daughters came over to pick it up. Her daughters were so excited they were jumping up and down.
As I look over to where the purple chair used to sit, I do feel a little sad and lonely. Many good naps were had, books were read, and movies watched in that chair. But now the purple chair has a new home, and I think it will be very happy there.
No comments:
Post a Comment