I have been back in the States for 1 week and quite a few things have struck me as odd or strange so here they are for your amusement.
* Keeping food out on the counter for long periods of time, I have a fear that bugs and ants will attack it
* Drinking water straight from the tap, I find it strange to not drink out of a bottle
* Being able to flush toilet paper, or even being able to flush for that matter
* Everything feels so convenient - packaged frozen chicken breasts, running many errands all within an hour, being able to get help and speak English
* Clothes with my size and being able to try them on in a fitting room or returning them
* Driving for the first time, and it took way too much mental willpower to not drive on the left side of the road
* I can keep gum out of the fridge and it won't melt
* American money is confusing, I keep giving the wrong amounts of money
* Sorry to say it, but people are much, much bigger here, I was sort of shocked at the Chicago airport
* Food portions are bigger here, bigger sandwiches, more fries, bottles of coke, etc
* Initially I kept staring at people because everyone has such different facial features. They stare back at me, which doesn't seem odd because I was stared at the second I left my house, so now I'm just that weirdo who stares
* I keep wanting to respond to things in Thai phrases
* Americans do seem more abrupt and forward than the laid back, super smiley Thais
this cracks me up. i can't wait to leave cereal out of the refrigerator.
ReplyDeleteAmerican money is confusing! It should be more colourful!
ReplyDelete