For someone who watched minimal TV in the States, this is quite an impressive list of TV shows. A few other volunteers, who have watched equally ridiculous amounts of TV, were shocked that I am bold enough to post this. But you know what, I have decided to embrace it. Yes, I watched more TV than one person ever should, but it helped me get through the hours, days, and sometimes weeks. Plus, I'm more caught up and in-the-know about American TV than my friends in the States, small victory? So here you have it, if my nonprofit career doesn't take off, maybe I can become a TV critic.
I watched 28 TV shows in no particular order. (Please note, I didn't necessarily watch every season of each show, which makes this slightly less embarrassing.)
1. Weeds – The plot is quite far-fetched, but Mary Louise Parker is so hot, you have to keep watching
2. Nurse Jackie – randomly good show that I didn’t expect to enjoy
3. The Biggest Loser – such a good show! These people are changing their lives for the better and it’s amazing!
4. Project Runway – I’m not really into fashion, but I love watching all the crazy designs people come up with. I love challenges when they have to make a dress out of things purchased at a hardware store
5. Mad Men - I'm secretly in love with Don Draper despite his excessive womanizing. Also, this is brilliantly filmed
6. Dexter – Who knew a show about a serial killer could be so good? Season 4 finale literally left me speechless
7. The Wire – Good show, very intense. I love the director, David Simon. He has an amazing ability to incorporate the Baltimore into the story in a very powerful way
8. Glee -Every episode basically has the same plot line, but it’s still very entertaining and makes you feel good. The Madonna episode was one of my favorite episodes. Jane Lynch is great
9. 30 Rock – Liz Lemon is my persona hero. I want to be her
10. The Office – Not as good as it used to be, but still a quality show
11. Modern Family – So entertaining. I love Manny. And Lilly. And Cam. Basically all of the characters are amazing in their own way
12. East Bound and Down - Random HBO show about a washed up baseball player, Will Ferrell is in a few episodes and is ridiculous
13. True Blood – I got addicted to the first 2 seasons despite it being about vampires. But then the show got way over the top and the acting started to make my skin crawl so I stopped watching it
14. United States of Tara - FANTASTIC, plus Aiden from Sex and the City is on it. Toni Collette is also an amazing actress
15. Bored to Death – I only watched the first season, but I’m not sure how I feel about it, but it has great scenes of NY
16. Sex and the City - I have rewatched all 6 seasons yet again, and then again, and then maybe again…
17. Arrested Development - Entertaining and ridiculous, nothing compares to it
18. Flight of the Concords - I love their accents and silly songs
19. The Daily Show - I watch this every night at dinner so I eat with Jon Stewart. Also I have a crush on him
20. Dancing with the Stars – I’m ashamed to even put this on the list, but I did download one season of this show. It was entertaining to have on in the background and I have to say some of those dances are really good
21. America’s Next Top Model – Don’t judge, one day I got really bored and then I got addicted
22. Brothers and Sisters – Typical night time drama, but entertaining and addicting, although the latest season has gone downhill big time
23. The Good Wife – Interesting legal drama that managed to keep my attention, plus Big from Sex in the City is on it, so that always helps
24. Breaking Bad – Really gritty and dark, but very good. Great acting too
25. Parenthood – This has turned into one of my favorite shows of the week. It’s become a solid family drama that I highly enjoy
26. The Big C – I love the music and Laura Linney does a great job. I’m curious which direction the show will go in future seasons
27. Treme – Great music and great filming, I only have good things to say about this show. Also filmed by David Simon (he did The Wire), and I now consider him a genius
28. Shameless – Can be over the top, but it’s entertaining and the acting is pretty good. Why not watch William H. Macy as a crazy alcoholic with 6 kids.
Hi!
ReplyDeleteI have been nominated to teach English in Asia departing in July 2011 (Philippines or Cambodia)!!! I was more interested in Community and Youth Development; however, my Peace Corps recruiter reassured that I would have the opportunity for secondary projects in addition to my primary assignment of teaching.
I love reading your blog! I have read many PCVs read a lot of book and watch a lot of movies and television shows. Are the books paper books? Are the movies/TV DVDs? Or are they digital? If they are digital, how did you obtain them? Did you exchange with other volunteers or did you download them from the internet?
Thank you!
Ella