Before PC, I only occasionally listened to podcasts. However, podcasts became my new best friend for those long and frequent bus rides. I feel that they have become such an important part of my day, that I will keep listening to them while I ride the subway in NY.
In no particular order, here are the 8 podcasts that I can't live without:
1. This American Life – Ira Glass has gotten me through countless long bus rides and I am forever indebted to this show for continually creating entertaining and interesting stories on random topics such as scenes from a mall to summer camp to the economy
2. Pop Culture Happy Hour – I recently discovered this and it has made me so happy. The hosts of this show are hilarious and I love hearing their take on movies, music, and TV shows. I feel like these people are my friends. I have definitely laughed out loud while listening to them
3. Freakoncomics – Somehow they manage to make economics interesting and tangible. I feel like I’m learning a lot when I listen
4. NPR World Story of the Day – This podcast is only 4-5 minutes long, but they choose a major story happening around the world and provide on the ground, useful information. It’s been great to get a better understanding of the protests in Egypt, for example
5. The Moth Podcast – The Moth is an organization that promotes live, unscripted story telling. It’s great to listen to people’s stories about whatever they want to talk about – video games, gangs, break ups, you name it, there’s a story about it
6. The Nutrition Diva’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Eating Well – The Nutrition Diva picks a nutrition topic, such as how to incorporate more veggies in your diet, or is soda water healthy to drink, and provides solid information to make healthier choices
7. The Get Fit Guy’s Quick and Dirty Tips to Slim Down – Similar to the Nutrition Diva, the Get Fit Guy provides useful information on a range of exercise topics such as how to gain more muscle or the best machines for you to use at the gym. Like the Nutrition Diva, they are 6-7 minutes long, but give a lot of information
8. RadioLab – This hour long podcasts takes topics related to science, the body, etc and delves into oddities about them. For example, there was an episode all about how our brain communicates with our body and how amputees have “phantom limbs.” It’s fascinating and weird
No comments:
Post a Comment