Earlier this week, my office had a going away party for me. It was a traditional Thai Buddhist ceremony with a religious leader officiating (he's technically not a monk, but has some kind of higher religious status). I showed up first thing in the morning in a nice skirt and shirt my counterpart had just bought me. Everyone complimented me on my pretty outfit, but there was a lot of chitchat about it. Turns out they wanted me to wear traditional Thai clothes so eventually someone had the guts to tell me and off I went to try on clothes at a neighbor's house. Fortunately, I fit in them and soon enough I was dressed in a shirt that could match a lace doily at a nursing home.
Everyone from my office, the village leaders, and councilmen came to wish me good luck for returning to America. The religious leader did this really neat chanting/song, which I have heard before and love to hear. It's very emotional and powerful, yet calming at the same time. Every time I hear it I get chills. Then everyone took white string blessed by the religious leader and tied it around my wrists wishing me good luck and happiness. Along with the strings, they gave me money... lots of money. I was not expecting this at all, but everyone donated nearly $200 to me. I don't really know what to do with it. I feel bad using it for personal use so I would like to donate it back into the village somehow. These people have done more for me than I can even begin to verbalize so I would like to make sure the money stays in my community.
After my wrists were covered in white strings (which I need to keep on for 3 days and cannot cut them off, they must naturally come loose), the mayor and other VIPs gave me gifts. I made a calendar full of photos from my 2 years, which I presented to them. And no Thai event is without food, so then we ate. Ironically it was all of my least favorite food, but that's how it goes.
It was really neat because the purpose of the ceremony is a happy celebration of me being there and not a sad event because I'm leaving. Everyone kept asking me "Are you happy?" I want to take that perspective with me and accept the present and celebrate it for what it is. As I say goodbye to my preschool and Grandma, I want to celebrate that we were part of each other's lives and not focus on being so sad it's over. Be grateful that it happened, not sad that it's over. That's my new mantra.
No comments:
Post a Comment