Christmas Eve in the rice field started at 5am for me. I was picked up well before the sun rose to get ready for the opening day parade for the Annual Long Drum Festival. All of the villages in my area come together each year for a 3-day festival and it randomly falls around Christmastime. I remember it well from last year, but this year I was asked to lead my village in our section of the parade. Immediate flashbacks to me all dolled up and sitting in a lotus flower came to mind, but I said yes again, because why not, right?
It was a very long morning of getting pounds of make up put on my face, layers and layers of hair spray, and being literally sewn into my outfit. The hair piece I had to wear was extremely tall and precariously balanced on my head with tons of hair spray, bobby pins, and strategic balancing on my part. In order to get to the start of the parade, I had to be transported laying down because my hair was so tall. The parade didn't start until almost 3pm, so it's a wonder why we had to start getting ready at 5am. Anyway, hundreds of people watched the parade and it was funny to watch everyone's faces as they realized the foreigner was all dressed up. Lots and lots of pictures, waving, and smiles.
Perhaps one of the most memorable Christmases I will ever have. Gotta love it.
you are stunning.
ReplyDeleteI love these pictures - you look amazing!
ReplyDelete