Saturday, December 11, 2010

An Excessively Boring Saturday

Today was excessively boring. When I'm back in NY and crazy busy, I know I will think back fondly to my lazy weekends in the rice field. That didn't make this boring Saturday any easier to deal with though. I decided to chronicle my day so that when I am missing the rice field I can think back to this particular Saturday. My apologies if this is to boring to read. It was even more boring to do.

7:00am: Wake up to loud speakers and dogs barking
7:30am: After laying in bed attempting to fall back asleep for the past 30 minutes, I roll out of bed
7:30-9:00am: Check e-mail, check the news headlines, drink coffee, read
9:00-9:15am: Breakfast
9:15-10:30am: Hand wash laundry outside
* At around 10:15am, notice Crazy Old Lady's house become quite active with monks and neighbors and a large group of men start drinking and chopping up a cow, which was pretty gross
10:30-11:00am: Go back and forth between playing around on the internet and peering out my door at what's going on at the neighbor's house; call Sarah to share the excitement on my street
11:00-12:00pm: Walk over to Crazy Old Lady's house and figure out what the deal is and find out it's a 1-day merit making ceremony. Drunk men offer me raw beef and I politely decline after being given 2 oranges
12:00-12:30pm: Make and eat lunch
12:30-12:45pm: Do the dishes and clean the kitchen
12:45pm-1:30pm: Attempt taking a nap, but realize it's too hot
1:30pm: Realize it's going to be a loooong day
1:30-2:30pm: Read and eat lots of delicious snacks that I purchased at the market yesterday
2:30-3:00pm: Call Sarah and discuss how we are both bored and why didn't we meet up this weekend?
3:00-3:30pm: More snacks and crossword puzzle time
3:30pm: Ponder how it's only 3:30pm
3:30-4:45pm: Aimlessly wander around my house, check how dry my clothes are on the porch, and online Scrabble
4:45-5:30pm: Go for a very slow walk around the lake as my stomach is too full of snacks to actually run
5:30-5:35pm: Buy eggs down the street
5:35-5:45pm: Take a very cold bucket bath
5:45-6:00pm: Make dinner and eat while playing more online Scrabble
6:00-7:00pm: More online Scrabble, do the dishes
7:00-9:00pm: Watch a movie? Read? Wander around the house aimlessly?
9:00-9:30pm: Read in bed and hopefully fall asleep

Tomorrow is Sunday, so I face a day filled with more of the same. You might think this day sounds just grand, but imagine this day on repeat for an extended period of time and it becomes less grand quickly.

(Crazy Old Lady got her name all the way back from my first week at site. I had just moved in and she came over to meet me. She then grabbed my hand and guided me over to her and led me into her bathroom. She picked up the butt sprayer hose and started spraying me with water and cackling. I was obviously shocked by this and quickly left and returned home only to have Grandma Next Door ask me why I was all wet. And there began my friendship with Crazy Old Lady.)

No comments:

Post a Comment