Thursday, December 23, 2010

It's Almost Christmas?

It's my second year of having no conception of Christmas except for Facebook status messages about snow and holiday parties and the random decorations scattered around Bangkok. I've never been a huge Christmas person, although I'm no Scrooge either. I really enjoy the traditions my family and I share and enjoying extra treats and parties in the winter months. I don't enjoy shopping and buying gifts, but I enjoy the togetherness and sense of comfort during the holidays that has been lacking while I've been in Peace Corps. Living in a very hot and Buddhist country, it's impossible for it to feel like the holidays so part of me feels like I'm not missing anything at all.

This year, I will be spending my Christmas Eve leading my village in a big parade kicking off the 3 day long drum festival in my area. I was just told that I need to be there by 5am to start getting ready. It's going to be quite the day to say the least, but it's one last big hoorah in the rice field.

Happy Holidays everyone! Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment