Life has thrown a few curve balls at me recently, but I'm making the best of it.
About a week before I was to head to Bangkok to take the dreaded GRE, I woke up one morning to a rash that I literally watched spread all over my body. I called the Peace Corps doctor and was assured that as long as I could still breathe, I was okay. Hmmm... Not exactly what one wants to hear when they live 8 hours from English speaking doctors, but okay. The next day it got worse and it spread to the palms of my hands and feet, so strange. Then it continued to get worse and I started to lose feeling in my hands and feet. It was that strange prickly, pins and needles sensation when your arm falls asleep, but it wouldn't go away. I was a swollen, splotchy mess who couldn't hold a pencil or walk up and down stairs due to the swelling. After 3 days, it was decided that I should head to Bangkok. It turns out I caught some kind of crazy viral infection and the doctor assured me I would be able to hold a pencil to take the GRE by Friday. What a weird and confusing ailment. I'm happy to report I'm feeling much better and now look and feel like a normal person again. The leprosy was short lived.
On top of this mess, the day before I took the GRE, I went to the dentist because of a tooth ache. Turns out I have a cracked tooth and now require major dental work, and possibly a root canal. I seriously started laughing when the dentist told me that; I guess when it rains it pours. So lucky me, 3 hours after completing the GRE I was in a dentist chair getting my tooth drilled out. It doesn't get much better than that, right?
In happier news though, the GRE is OVER. I didn't do fabulously, but I didn't do horribly either. I got a solid, middle of the road score, which is all I really hoped for since standardized testing is not my strong suit and I haven't taken a math class since high school. I'm just so happy to have it over and done with and now I can really focus my attention on grad school applications and the preschool cafeteria project. I back at site and ready to push through the next couple of weeks. I'm back in action and hopefully done with dental issues and strange viruses. Oh life in Thailand.
Hey, I'm due to start PST in January as a teacher collaborator and community outreach facilitator. You've got a few months left in Thailand it seems. Would you mind if we spoke a little? I'm curious how you got assigned to the rice paddies, what sort of things were mentioned at the closing conference, and what kinds of career Thailand set your heart on as a result of the service. It would be a huge help for me.
ReplyDeleteJade