It's a big Saturday in the rice field... I'm defrosting the freezer. It feels like I just did this, but my records show the last time was in June and it's now somehow mid-October. I'm almost amazed at how big an event defrosting my freezer has become in my life and how I feel compelled to share this "event" with people. A lot goes into defrosting the freezer though so let me explain.
I've been under the weather all week (again), this time with a head cold/sinus infection so I haven't biked to the main town for groceries, which regularly include milk, yogurt, imitation cheese, chicken, and eggs. Most of those things need to be kept cold and defrosting the freezer means the fridge will not be kept to its optimal coldness and considering how hot it is here, that means these food items will essentially be left unrefrigerated for most of the day. That makes me nervous. Therefore, defrosting must take place at a point when minimal food is in the fridge.
Additionally, because it's been since June since the last defrosting occurred, my freezer is basically a solid brick of ice. I haven't been able to keep anything in there for weeks now or even shut the little plastic freezer door. I have thought about defrosting before today, but the thought always occurs to me too late in the day. This process must begin first thing in the morning, with frequent emptying of the water tray and hauling huge chunks of ice to the bathroom to melt. It's actually quite involved and I must be present and diligent.
So this morning when I awoke, I said to myself "today is the day!" and I rushed downstairs and immediately began the defrosting process, even before turning on my computer or making coffee. Now that's what I call dedication.
No comments:
Post a Comment