Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Preschool Project Update

I am happy and proud to say that the Fargo Forum newspaper published a story about my experience in Thailand and the cafeteria project. It's a great article and it showcases very well what I'm doing here in the rice field. As a bonus, I'm hoping that this awareness will bring in the last bit of funds needed to start the cafeteria construction.

I must admit, this cafeteria project has been much more of an undertaking than I could have ever imagined. It basically started this past May with the grant writing, floor plans, and budget with the SAO staff. Then the process of receiving approval though the Peace Corps Partnership program, and now the long road of fundraising. This is the third month of fundraising and I'm really hoping to have it all set by November so the construction can finally begin.

Yesterday I went to the preschool and read books with the kids. I read very simple books in English to them and then translate it into Thai so they understand the story. The magic and wonder of Dr. Seuss and Seasame Street are officially universal because they are enthralled. Since I don't teach everday, I think repetition is important, so I read the same books each week. I'm amazed at how much they have retained and learned. One of my favorit little ones can actually read a few of the letters and words! That doesn't seem like a big deal, but it really is. I didn't know that she could do that and all of a sudden I saw her pointing to the letters with her little finger and sayign "B...I....G." So cool!

Then I went to the main town with 2 village leaders and one of the teachers to create a joint bank account for the cafeteria project. This is truly collaborative and no one person will receive all the money, we will do it together. While we waited at the bank, we goofed around, and they taught me more silly phrases in Laos. It was a neat moment when we all signed off on the account and they handed over the papers. It's real, it's happening!

So life is good and I'm ready to get this project started!

Check out the article in the Fargo Forum: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/295115/group/Opinion/

No comments:

Post a Comment