Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy birhday in a rice field




My birthday was last week, but this is honestly the first chance I have had to write an entry. All of a sudden life got busy and I'm not going to complain about that.

Last Thursday (November 19) was my birthday. I turned 26 years old. I'm not one to make a big deal of birthdays. In fact, I usually forget birthdays of close friends and family so I'm not upset if my birthday slips someone's mind. I only told a few people in my village that it was my birthday. The kids at pre-school sang me "Happy Birthday" and that was really fun. Other than that, it was the perfect day of relaxing and enjoying the fact that I was turning 26 in a rice field. I went for a good run in the morning and then spent the rest of the day around the house. It was exactly what I wanted the day to be like.

The next day I was invited to a birthday party for one of the kids at the pre-school - he turned 4 years old. So Friday night I went with one of the teachers and her daughter to his little party and I have to say it was a lot of fun. When the chocolate cake appeared, I pretended it was my birthday cake and I loved it. It was one of the moments of simple contentness. It wasn't my birthday party, but it didn't matter. I was happy nonetheless.

Then on Saturday I headed to Bangkok to run the 5km race during the Bangkok marathon. Only a few other volunteers ran as well, but it was a great weekend. Since I am new to this whole running thing, this was my first race and I was a bit nervous. It went really well though! I ran my best time so far and it just felt amazing to be a part of the event. As I ran by the Grand Palace in downtown Bangkok, I just smiled. Exactly a year ago, I had a birthday party/informal going away party at a bar in New York and here I was a year later, running a race in Bangkok. It's crazy that a year has gone by and so much has happened. It hasn't been an easy year, but as I look back, I feel good about it. I'm doing okay.

I am happy to say that I turned 26 years old in a rice field. Something about that just makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment