I have recently started jogging at site. I will not say running because I'm a very slow runner and I just don't think what I'm doing is actually considered running. Regardless, it's been one of the best things I have done for myself at site.
There is a man-made lake near my house and there is a "trail" around the lake. I was able to use Google maps to determine that it's about 1 kilometer around the lake. The trail is mud, sand, dirt, piles of cow poop, and tire tracks, but it works. Around the lake are miles of rice fields and a few scattered houses so basically this "trail" is used for rice farmers to get their carts, tractors, and cattle to and from the fields. It's really quiet and peaceful with few people around. Months ago, I tried running in my village and it didn't go well. Everyone was so confused and stopped to ask where I was going and one time a little girl chased me in her flip flops. Therefore this "trail" is nice because it's fairly secluded. It's also really pretty to see the sun shining over the water and the rice blowing in the wind in the distance. The rice farmers are the only ones who see me and they just smile and wave with this look of confusion as they wonder why the white girl wants to run around in a big circle in the heat. Foreigners are crazy like that.
Well, word has spread that the white girl is in fact running around in circles by the lake. Grandma Next Door and Crazy Lady Across the Street LOVE it. Grandma always asks how far I run and then she does this crazy cackle once I tell her. This morning, Crazy Lady actually walked to the lake (which she sometimes does anyway) and sat under a tree in the shade and watched me run. Every time I passed her she would stand up and smile and wave at me and say "Good job!" I kiddingly asked if she wanted to run with me and she just laughed her crazy laugh.
Running has helped me clear my mind and just feel more grounded about life here. Plus I have 2 old ladies who are my cheerleaders. If nothing else, I amuse them and give them something to talk about with the rest of the village all afternoon. And at the end of the 2 years, maybe that's the real reason I am here.
No comments:
Post a Comment