Wednesday, December 2, 2009

You don't need pumpkin pie to celebrate Thanksgiving

This was my first Thanksgiving away from America and not going back to Fargo. Even though I haven't lived at home in almost 8 years (that's crazy!?!!) and tend to travel all over the place, I have still managed to make my way to Fargo every Thanksgiving for a relaxing time of stuffing my face with turkey and pumpkin pie and playing board games with the family all day and being forced to help decorate the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving night.

This year was obviously a little different. On actual Thanksgiving Day, I ate Mexican food and drank beer at this little outside bar in Bangkok. I have to say, chips and salsa on Thanksgiving is quite delicious. Oneof the volunteers was gracious enough to organize "Thanksgiving" dinner at Sizzler. So on Saturday night, 70 of us bombarded Sizzler. They don't serve turkey, but it didn't matter. It was so much fun to see all of the volunteers again. The group before me is getting ready to leave so it was the last time I might see some of them. I almost felt bad for the Thai people quietly enjoying their Saturday night dinners at Sizzler until we all showed up. One thing about Peace Corps volunteers when they get together is that we aren't a quiet or subdued bunch. : )

On Thursday night, as we sat around and enjoyed a few beers and chips and salsa, we went around the table and said what we are thankful for this year. It's a little sappy, but stick with me. I'm thankful for this opportunity to really challenge myself and push myself. I'm thankful that I have this time to acknowledge and accept my limitations and keep on going. I'm thankful for the opportunity to feel really uncomfortable and out of sorts. I'm thankful for this time to be able to sit and read all day if I want. I'm thankful for my rice field that I have come to really love. I'm thankful for people like Grandma Next Door who I can't really communicate with, yet brings about this sense of calm and comfort for me. And I'm also thankful for the friendships I have made here. As I looked around Sizzler, I smiled at all of the ridiculous people who signed up for this too. We are an odd bunch of people, and I'm thankful I have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment