Well, I survived another night with my roommates, although I tossed and turned and barely slept again. I'm actually looking forward to sleeping on my overnight bus to Bangkok tomorrow night; I honestly never thought those words would come out of my mouth.
After correcting the snake/mouse mix-up, I was still feeling quite uneasy about this whole situation for obvious reasons. I called the one teacher who speaks English in my village and explained the snake saga. She came right over and immediately said "Heather, this is wonderful news! Snakes mean good luck! Maybe something good will happen to you soon!" Ummm... excuse me? I guess it's similar to how we say it's good luck when a bird poops on your head. I'm convinced these are just things we come up with to make ourselves feel better about crappy situations. Regardless, a family of snakes in my house is not wonderful news in my book. I asked about potential traps and she said "Oh I'm not sure. We are Buddhist so we don't want to kill them, maybe only capture." Sure, whatever, just get them out of my house, I thought to myself. She checked, and bad news, no such snake traps exist. She suggested a net, but quite honestly, I have no idea what I'm going to do with an angry snake and a net.
As I said, I survived another fitful night of sleep, if you can even call it that. Grandma's daughter came over this morning to check on the situation. No snake sightings today so far... knock on wood. I'm leaving for Bangkok tomorrow night for a week, which is great because I will actually be able to sleep snake-free, but bad because I'm afraid they might move back in while I'm away since there isn't a screaming human harassing them. I guess I'll deal with that if/when the time comes. Yet again, I end a blog entry with Oh Thailand.
No comments:
Post a Comment