Thursday, October 29, 2009

Good Afternoon

It's a quiet day at the SAO this afternoon. I'm sitting here using "my" computer and the agricultural officer walked in. He is a short, plump man who is very gruff, conversative, and just a typical Thai man. The way he often acts is sexist and I can tell he is just sort of an odd character. Since I've been at site, I've only had limited, awkward interactions with him. Today he walked in and greeted me in Thai, which is the customary thing to do. But then a few minutes later I heard him say "Heather. Good afternoon" in English. And then he gave me an ever so slight smile with this look of genuine pride. I smiled and said good afternoon back in English. That was it, that was the end of the conversation, if you can even call it that. I don't know why, but it just made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment