There are lots of bugs and lizards and other such creatures here. They are becoming increasingly annoying to me. First, there are tons of mosquitos. Somedays I feel like I am just one massive mosquito bite. My mom mailed me my first care package from the States and my one actual request was After Bite. I have twice daily ritual of covering my bites in After Bite.
Then there are the lizards. There are 2 or 3 that live specifically in my bedroom. It's like I have a sleepover every night. They don't seem to come inside my mosquito net though. Then there are more that live throughout the house. They are basically little geckos so they are harmless. There is a tiny one that lives in our bathroom that is kind of cute.
Along with the lizards are ants, ants, ants. I am constanly amazed at the streams of ants on all of our walls and floors. It seems my house is one big ant farm. A similar annoyance are flies. They fly around constantly.
Then there is this creature called a tokay. Apparently they live outside of all Thai homes. They only come out at night and repeatedly and pretty loudly make the noise "tokay tokay." Sometimes they make a growling noise as a warning to predators I think. I was so intrigued by this noisy lizard that I told my host parents I want to see it. The past couple of nights we have stood outside searching the walls and roof for the tokay. Last night, we found it. It was very exciting. It's a pretty good sized lizard and looks pretty ugly, but I still told my family I like it. He's a reliable part of my evening and I kind of appreciate that. My family officially thinks I'm crazy.
Next are the frogs. A couple nights ago, I was studying Thai with my host parents in the living room and three little frogs plopped on by us. They didn't seem to think it was odd at all. Perhaps it will take me a bit more time to find frogs in the living room normal.
And finally, there are just the random assortment of bugs. I have no idea what they are, but they are always around. I am constantly squishing odd bugs in my bedroom and picking other ones out of my mosquito net.
My days are filled with bugs, ants, lizards, frogs, and the infamous tokay.
I laughed at this one. It made me think of sleeping on the ground with Jerome when I visited him. Waking up in the morning and seeing all the lizards and insects that covered the walls and the ceiling and thinking, "Hmmm... I wonder how many of those things were crawling all over me when I was sleeping." I especially liked the frog part of your stories.
ReplyDelete