So here's a random story... last night at dinner we were enjoying a lovely meal. Aside from the plate of fried chicken that included fried chicken feet, beak, and internal organs, it was a normal meal, and actually that's pretty normal anyway. My house is very clean, yet there is a huge amount of bugs and I have never figured out where they come from. Anyway, this very large bug flew into my face while I was eating and I made a noise because I was surprised and swatted it away. I must have knocked it silly because it fell on the floor. My host family didn't say a thing. I kept looking at the floor watching it try to regain flight. Eventually my host mother told my host brother to pick it up. He did and handed it back to her. She then reached her hand across the plate of fried chicken parts to show me what had flown into my face. I said "yes" and she set the bug down on the table. That seemed odd to me, but so many odd things happen here. As we were finishing dinner we heard a big "ding ding splat" and that pesky bug had flown into the fan, got whipped around by the blades, and shot back out at our dinner table. I looked at the bug and then my host mother, expecting some kind of reaction, but nothing. Apparently that bug really wanted to be a part of our dinner, but it didn't phase the Thais one bit. It's like nothing even happened. I wanted to start laughing and exclaim "That's the bug! That's the same bug that flew into my face! So random!" But nothing.
This is just a little insight into life in a Buddhist country. Buddhists don't believe in killing anything, no matter how big or small. This is the only explanation I can conjur up to explain the large number of bugs and lizards that live in our house. Thai people seem to just coexist with all the creatures in this country, despite how pesky or annoying or gross they might be.
No comments:
Post a Comment