Quite a few months ago, Sarah, Kelsi, and I randomly decided to go to Vietnam because Air Asia was having a special sale on cheap tickets. For those of you who know me well, you know I simply can't turn down cheap plane tickets and the opportunity to explore a new country. And so at the beginning of April, we flew to Ho Chi Minh City, more commonly known as Saigon, in the south of Vietnam. We spent the weekend there and then flew up to Hanoi in the north, an absolutely beautiful city that combines Europe and Asia perfectly.
In Ho Chi Minh City we visited the Reunification Palace and the War Remnants Museum. The Reunification Palace was stormed by the Communists from the north in 1975, officially ending the Vietnam War and bringing about a unified Communist Vietnam. The building stands pretty much unchanged since 1975; it felt as though I had traveled back in time as we walked around the halls with bright red decor at every turn. The War Remnants Museum was powerful to say the least. Unfortunately, it was not air conditioned and brutally hot inside, so I was not able to take in as much of the museum as I wished. The museum did not look kindly upon the American presence in Vietnam. Exhibits showcased many of the atrocities Vietnam suffered as a result of foreign invasion. Photographs of Agent Orange victims (a horrible herbicide gas used by the Americans) remain etched in my mind. This museum truly showcased the horrors of war and the long term ramifications that a country must face post-war. I have always been interested in the Vietnam War and fascinated by that time in American history so it was extremely enlightening to see the other side of history. The things I saw and read were in many ways the opposite or much more detailed version of what I learned in history class in high school. It can't be disputed that the Vietnam War changed the United States and how it is viewed internationally.
We also took a day trip about 2 hours outside of Saigon to the Cu Chi Tunnels. The Viet Cong (Communists) hand-dug about 125 miles worth of tunnels, including kitchens and sleeping areas. There was even a tunnel route that soldiers could escape into the river as to never be detected by the enemies. We were able to crawl in a portion of the tunnels and they were insanely small and pitch dark. I can't even imagine soldiers surviving in these tunnels with all of their gear. The tunnels provided another layer or perspective to the Vietnam War. Our guide told us that many American veterans have visited the tunnels, many of whom fought in that very area. They all said they had no idea these tunnels existed. It's scary and awful to think of American soldiers fighting for their lives against enemies who could literally escape into the ground.
The visits to the Reunification Palace, War Remnants Museum, and the Cu Chi Tunnels made a huge impression on me. A consistent theme during these visits was the idea of the "American aggressor" and foreign oppression. Vietnamese people of today stately boldly that they are proud to be Communist and happy their country was reunified. I can't say that I have made any grand conclusions. I'm quite honestly not informed enough on the events of the Vietnam War, but I certainly feel enlightened on the different perspective of the war.
Now on to Hanoi, an amazing city. The best way to describe Hanoi is a mix of Europe and Asia, the East and the West. At some points I was convinced I was on a windy street in Europe, but then I would turn a corner and see dead chickens hanging in a store front and realize instantly I was in Asia. One day we went from cafe to cafe, eating baguettes and drinking coffee while playing Scrabble. Another day we visited the Temple of Literature and the Perfume Pagoda about 2 hours outside of Hanoi. It's a magical city with plenty to offer. I would go back to to Hanoi in a heartbeat.
Vietnam was so vibrant and interesting. There was a certain level of energy and life to the country that was beautiful. I absolutely loved Vietnam and would love to travel more of the country at some point in my life. Plus, the food was fantastic. : )
I feel the need to add that Peace Corps has completely changed my views on travel. I have lived in Thailand for well over a year now. While it sometimes feels like travel, I actually do live here. I know the ins and outs of Thailand, it's oddities, and beauties. I feel like I have a really deep understanding of Thailand's history, politics, and culture. This is all great, but now I almost hold those expectations to everywhere else I travel. From now on, I want to have that level of understanding with where ever I go, but I simply can't. I feel like my short week in Vietnam doesn't give it justice and I'm not even being fair by pretending to understand Vietnam. In this sense, Peace Corps has spoiled me. I'm just so much more curious about cities and countries than I was before and my idea of travel has completely changed. Regardless, I feel really fortunate to be able to have been able to travel to Vietnam and experience and see what I could.
No comments:
Post a Comment