I realized I must be getting used to life here because I have trouble coming up with something to write because things that I used to think were ridiculous or weird seem to seem more and more normal. I can't decide if this is a good or bad thing.
My lovely mom from America mailed me a bunch of games for the kids - Jenga, Candy Land, Chutes & Ladders, and Memory. It's basically a party at my house every night now. New kids have appeared that I have never seen before, so word must have spread around the village that the foreigner has even more stuff to play with. I have a "kids corner" set up in the entry of my house with puzzles, coloring books, Uno, and a few books. I was amazed how the kids never seemed to get bored of Uno and assumed the new games would trump Uno. But alas, tonight, Uno held strong in the game playing festivities. The kids are always very respectful, clean up after themselves, and go home when I tell them to. I'm convinced that if I didn't send them home around 6pm for dinner, they would stay up all night playing games at my house. I'm thinking about having a movie night at my house and show "Finding Nemo" or some other cute American movie.
I admit sometimes I get annoyed with the kids constantly coming over, pounding on my door, and yelling my name at the top of their lungs, but ultimately, they make me really happy. It's so fun to just watch all of these kids laugh and play on my porch. It's usually quite a crew of kids and I am really enjoying getting to know them and their personalities. When I do get annoyed that they are over so much, I try to step back and realize that just letting them play games on my porch is such a huge deal in their lives and they will remember these evenings of playing games with the foreigner for the rest of their lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment