I think today was the final funeral related event, but I could be wrong. There was some kind of ceremony with the ashes this morning. I was generally confused by what was going on, but I heard that it was in the morning at either 6 or 7am. To be safe, I woke up around 5:30am and got ready to sit and wait until someone called or came to my house. That's a great way to describe how I function here - I understand part of what's going on, so I get ready and sit and wait for it to play out. Sure enough, a little after 6am, my landlord honked her horn and I followed her on my bike to the mayor's house.
We all crowded into the living room and 13 monks came and there was a lot of chanting and praying and bowing. We did this ceremonial pouring of water and then the monks splashed water on our heads so I think this was some kind of cleansing. Then we all took bowls of rice and served food to the monks. One of the monks speaks a little English and I have met him before, so during the ceremony, he really wanted me involved so I took front and center. It was a little intense. He always says "Kaimuk! (my Thai name) Good morning/afternoon!" I always say "Hello! I'm good. How are you?" He replies "I'm good. How long will you be here?" I always reply "2 years" and he nodds approvingly. I like him. He's consistent. Believe it or not, we even had this back and forth during the ceremony.
Sidenote: If I had to specify my consistent friends in the village, I would say monks like talking to me and giving me random monk gifts like embroidered pillows; young kids who camp out on my porch until I open my door; and old ladies. I have a very solid gang of old ladies who love to chat it up in Laos with me. Old Thai ladies are hilarious and if nothing else, will be the reason I stay here for 2 years because they seriously make me happy.
Anyway, so after the monks ate, we all ate a delicious breakfast in the yard. Then I biked to "work" and here I sit until something else happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment