I have returned. The first weekend of freedom lived up to its expectations and then some. About half of the group (around 25 people) went to Bangkok and we all pretty much stayed at the same hotel. Each time someone arrived to the hotel, it was like a big party with cheering and hugging (and of course drinking). I didn't realize how much I missed the other volunteers and how truly incredible this random group of people really is. Of course we spent some time sharing ridiculous stories from site, but so much of it didn't need to be said. We all know and understand what everyone has been through for the past month. That general understanding is unbelieveably comforting and reassuring.
The weekend was filled with much debauchery. The volunteer near me and I were bus buddies and started drinking beer and rice wine on the bus, if that's any indication how the weekend played out. I ate so much delicious American food including nachos, chicken fajitas, guacamole, pizza and then more pizza, gelato, omlettes, french fries, etc. It's actually sort of disturbing how much food and drink was consumed this past weekend, but such is life. It was 100% necessary.
It is nice returning to site and recovering from the weekend. I have to admit I'm much more motivated to study Thai and Laos. It was really satisfying to chat with cab drivers in Bangkok and to have them impressed that I could actually speak the language and wasn't just another foreigner.
All in all, I needed that weekend. It was incredible to see the other volunteers and just party down. Until the next volunteer meet up in 2 weeks...
No comments:
Post a Comment