Monday, January 31, 2011

A lot of sickness, a lot of movies

This past week I was knocked off my feet with a nasty head cold. I'm not sure what it was exactly, or where I got it, but it was a bad player. I don't remember being this sick since before Peace Corps... sore throat, running nose, sneezing, coughing, head ache, exhausted, slight fever, body aches, etc. Not a fun way to feel all week. I have no cold medicine in my house except for some expired Sudafed from 2009, so that's what I've been taking. I have no Kleenix, so I've been using my precious supply of toilet paper, which has now dwindled down to a scary 2 rolls left. A couple friends in the village and Grandma have checked on me, but the second I open the door they have quickly backed away and headed home. I look pretty beat up. Yesterday Grandma was laughing at how red and sore my nose is, thanks Grandma.

I've been cooped up in my house for days. I started downloading all of the Oscar nominated films and have watched well over 10 movies in the past couple of days, which has been the only thing keeping me from going off the deep edge. Although as I watched James Franco cut off is own arm in "127 Hours," the idea of severing off my head to relieve myself of this cold didn't seem like such a bad idea.

Being sick here sucks. I missed home more than usual this week, maybe more than I have in a long time. It's a very lonely feeling being so sick away from home. I just wanted to walk down the street to a CVS, buy soft Kleenix, cold medicine, gatorade, and macaroni and cheese and camp out on my old futon in NY. But alas, I consumed expired cold meds, blew my nose with TP, and ate brown rice, pretending it was something delicious.

I'll stop the solo pity party now. I'm on the slow road to recovery, which is good. I'm heading to BKK tomorrow for a week of final medical exams, perfect timing. Knock on wood, the next time I'm sick, I can drown my sickness sorrows in CVS purchases in NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment