Last week was Buddhist Lent, which means an extra long weekend which means a big volunteer meet up at the beach for 5 days. We all met on an island and the weekend took off from there. The usual silly and ridiculous shenanigans ensued. The hotel acomodations were more like camping with outside bathrooms up the hill, along with sleeping 3 people to a bed under a mosquito net with no AC. Basically it was a ridiculous weekend that makes me realize yet again that my my volunteer group is like one big family. No matter where we are, or what we are doing, we manage to have an amazing time together.
Upon return from this beach vacation getaway however, I was very sick with a fever, body aches, sore throat, and a very bad stomach (to put it lightly). After three days of not eating and running to my lovely squat toilet every 20 minutes, the PC doctor said I needed to go to the hospital. I called 2 of the teachers at the preschool and they were at my house within 5 minutes and driving me to hospital (40km away) within 20 minutes. They took amazing care of me and made sure everything at the hosptial went smoothly. Apparently there was an English speaking doctor, but if there was, I never saw them. It was sort of overwhelming and confusing, but I walked away with antibiotics and am now feeling much better.
Grandma Next Door was literally beside herself that I was so sick. When she found out I was going to the hospital, I thought she was going to start crying with worry. The poor lady. The next day, I had so many visitors, Thai friends from the office, preschool, and neighbors. One of my friends from the office even made me my favorite food and brought it over for lunch. I truly felt loved and cared for in ways that I can't really express.
Today I was feeling much better, but I had a massive mound of dirty laundry. Usually I hand wash my clothes outside, but there was no way I would feasibly be able to wash all these clothes. I called one of my Thai friends who speaks a little English and asked if she knew anyone with a washing machine who would be able to wash my clothes and I would pay them. Within a half hour, my clothes were being washed by the teacher's neighbor. Grandma even managed to make 2 extra clothes lines outside of my house to dry everything. Everything was taken care of, yet again.
Sometimes after days of feeling completely unproductive at site and hiding in my house, I often wonder if people in my village would even know if I left. This past week showed me that I do have very dear Thai friends here. Sometimes I lose sight of the fact that I do have a family in this village. This whole experience reminded me that this village is my home and I have people who support me here.
It's a strange and indescribable feeling. I was dropped into this random group of Americans in my PC group and then yet again dropped off alone in a rice field for 2 years and told to make it work. As times seems to speed up more and more and I reflect on my life here, I realize how crazy and, at times, scary this experience has been. And I'm proud to say I'm doing this, I'm making this work in ways that make me so happy and fulfilled. I have a true family here - with my fellow volunteers and my village. I feel so fortunate to be surrounded by people that will forever be a huge part of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment