Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The morning I locked myself out of my house...

I knew it was going to happen, it was just a matter of time, but I finally managed to lock myself out of my house. Quite honestly, I'm surprised it took so long. I have often pondered what I would do if I accidentally locked my keys in my house. Well, let me tell you.

This morning I woke up a little earlier than usual to go for a nice walk around the lake near my house. I was all set with my bottle of water and Ipod. I could have sworn I grabbed my keys as well, but alas I did not. The second I locked the door from my porch, my stomach sunk. I realized immediately. Fortunately, the neighbors just got home from the market, so I walked on over and explained to Grandma Next Door what happened. You better believe I made her week and she hooted and hollered. Yet again, I think Grandma is getting the best deal out of this whole Peace Corps thing - constant entertainment from me.

Fortunately, her son-in-law wasn't planting rice today so he came over to help. I watched him balance precariously on my fence, prepared to jump from my fence to the balcony and attempt an entrance through my balcony door, which in my mind would have ended in extreme injury. However, I keep that door locked. All of my windows have bars over them for safety and every other entrance is locked from the inside. (My house is extremely safety proof, I've actually pondered how escaping from my house in the event of a fire would be surprisingly difficult.) He then sped off on his bike to the neighbors and came back with a drill, saw, sledge hammer type tool, and extension cords.

He first attempted to break in through the kitchen window by taking off the metal grates over the window. Grandma and I stood and watched. When that didn't work, he took to the slow process of breaking the lock with a hand saw. Again, Grandma and I sat and watched and she just kept giggling.

About a half hour late, the lock was broken and I was back in my house. I lifted up the keys like they were a trophy and Grandma gave me the biggest grin. I thanked her son-in-law about a thousand times for his quick break-in into my house. Fortunately, I had an extra lock, which came with an extra key, which I promptly gave to Grandma. She now has a spare key to my house tucked away in her little basket with all of her important possessions. I joked that now she can sneak into my house and play on the internet and she looked at my like I was absolutely crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment