Monday, March 29, 2010

Another Thai Funeral....

I was told that someone in PiSom's, my landlord, family died on Thursday night. I thought it was her mother, who is a very, very old woman who is blind and can't really move on her own. Today was the procession to the temple and the cremation ceremony. I stopped by PiSom's house to meet up with people to go to the temple together. I nearly flipped out when I saw PiSom's mother hanging out with some other old ladies. I guess it wasn't her that died. I must say that I was immensely confused for a few minutes as the supposed dead old lady sat by a fan on a mat.

Also, there was this one woman who was ridiculously drunk and during the monks' chanting she started yelling things out and no one knew what to do. Some lady calmed her down. But then the drunk lady got a second wind and started walking around and stuck paper lotus flowers (which are laid on the casket) down her shirt into her bra and slipped into the mud so one whole pant leg was covered in mud. Then she started crying. I found myself watching her closely just to see what she would do next.

Thai funerals are notoriously long and boring. At least I had some entertainment to pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment