Friday, January 30, 2009

I'm in Thailand!!!

After 20+ hours of flying and sitting in airports, I made it to Thailand! We landed in Bangkok around midnight and were greeted by Peace Corps staff. We cruised through customs, etc. and then took a 3 hour bus ride to a town north of Bangkok. We will be here for 10 days in a hotel training as a big group (there are about 50 of us) and then next week, we will move to villages to live with host families and bike to training everyday.

Everything is going well so far. Since we are in a hotel, we have wireless internet, but I'm sure once we move to the villages that will soon disappear. Everyone in my group seems really cool. There's a huge range of ages, from recent college grads to older people in their 60s and 70s. It's incredible to be a part of such a diverse group of people willing to devote 2 years to living and working and helping the people of Thailand.

So far the scariest thing is "soy dogs," which are wild street dogs. We had a session about dealing with these dogs and dog bites. Not a fan of that situation. Some of us made a quick trip to the nearby 7-11 and already encountered a couple of these dogs.

Jet lag has set in as I've been up since 4am. Today is another long day of training, but we get our bikes today!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great reading your blog even tho I get email too. This is an exciting experience. Stay away from the street dogs!! Love you and miss you!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heather!

    I have your blog bookmarked on my work computer and am checking it almost daily :-)

    I'm glad you made it safely to Thailand. Good luck with your training - and try not to get bitten!

    ~Joey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather! Can't wait to read more. The dogs sound kind of creepy...but soon enough, I'm sure you'll be a pro at keeping them at bay.

    ReplyDelete